“Interior design in 2017 will be about bringing warmth and comfort into the home,” says Kerrie Kelly, Zillow Digs home design expert. “Homeowners will start to shy away from overly industrial designs that feel stiff or cold. Instead, they will incorporate plush fabrics like velvet and rich jewel tones into their home to make it feel more approachable and welcoming.”
The Zillow Digs® Home Trend Forecast for 2017 uses data collected from Zillow Digs and from a survey of interior design experts to predict what homeowners will be decorating their abodes with next year:
- Velvet: A hot fashion trend right now, velvet is expected to make a big splash in interior design next year. Look for velvet fabrics and textures to weave their way into anything from throw pillows to upholstered couches and curtains.
- Jewel Colors: Saturated colors like emerald green or sapphire blue will take center stage in 2017. From artwork to furniture, these vibrate hues will be popping up everywhere, bringing life and richness to homes.
- Marble Surfaces: Marble, especially in shades of white and light gray, will be one of 2017’s biggest design trends. Experts predict marble to become an increasingly popular material for countertops, flooring and tabletops, as well as in everyday household items like serving platters or vases.
- Built-in Bars: Stemming from 2016’s popular bar cart trend, homeowners next year will look for a more permanent solution for entertaining within their home. From built-in shelving for craft cocktail fixings, to a small bar seating area, homeowners are enjoying decorating and hosting more classic parties and will seek ways to make these spaces more of a focal point within the home.
- Industrial Furniture: While aspects of the industrial design trend like exposed brick will still be present in 2017, homeowners will start to shy away from its sometimes uncomfortable or impractical furniture. Instead, the 2017 design aesthetic will shift towards “steampunk,” a unique hybrid of Victorian-inspired elegance boasting rich leather and plush fabrics, combined with machine-like accents for a modern twist.
- Cool Grays: From wall colors to couches, shades of gray have been a safe, go-to choice for homeowners and interior designers alike. In the coming year experts predict homeowners to be more experimental and welcoming of brighter pops of colors on everything from walls to rugs in an effort to make their space feel more individualized.
- Quote Art: The quote art trend is overdone, and a fad that will be forgotten quickly in 2017. Rather than decorating with words or cliché sayings, homeowners will start to incorporate artwork reminiscent of the colors and textures found in nature.